Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1, 2012

Outside Temp: 58 F (it was beautiful today.  A little overcast, and looked like it might rain a few times)

What I cooked today:
Split Pea Soup: I was in the mood for soup for lunch today (which is not common for me), so around 10am, I threw some of my chicken stock with some celery and carrots and dry split peas.  About 3-4 hours later, it was awesome.  Really creamy and everyone seemed to like it!

Burgers and Tater Tots: After working so hard for lunch, I really, really didn't want to make dinner.  I have some steaks that we picked up yesterday, but I didn't want to make the effort.  So, I informed the kids that we would have burgers and tater tots.  They jumped up and down with joy!  Really?  For burgers?  Hmmm, I must be doing something right.

Update:
So, it's the first of June, which means it's time to change seasons, which means that I have my semi-annual 'change of season' cold.  I refuse to call it 'allergies', like my husband.  Usually, it lasts a day or two, and then I'm fine for the rest of the season.  But for today, I'm down for the count. 

I was up around 9am, after a terrible night of sniffling and sneezing, jumping up for tissue paper before the snot covered my sheets, coughing and whimpering.  I decided it might be easier if I sat up, instead of laying down.  Not really. 

So, then I started on the medicines.  I started with Sudafed, since that usually helps the stuffy nose.  About an hour later, I still felt like crap.  So, then I went with the nasal spray.  That cleared it up a little, but I was still dripping, and I still felt like crap.  About an hour later, I found some DayQuil, and I thought, what the heck, it can't hurt.  I think the acetaminophen helped the aches, but the nose was still annoying me and I was still sneezing. 

Finally, around 2pm, I took some Benadryl.  Which proceeded to knock me out until about 4, when I woke up with a still stuffy nose.  But, hey, I got almost 2 hours of rest.  That's a good thing, right?

Around 8ish, I realized that I had to make dinner, since I would feel guilty if the kids had pasta for a second night in a row.  But there was no way in heck I was going to go to much effort. 

Now, I'm going to snuggle up with my blanket and a cup of tea and relax before I try to get a better nights sleep tonight.

On the good side, Patrick and Allen managed to mow the lawn today.  It's working fine now that Patrick fixed it.  Allen did most of the back lawn, and Patrick took the front and the edge next to the road.  Of course, that edge is a little angled.  And those riding lawn mowers are not designed to go at any angle other than flat.  So, as you can imagine, he went down the edge, and the angle was a little too high.  He went up, and up, and over.  So, here he is, flat on his back, with the lawn mower on top of him, blade still running.  Fortunately, the mower has a 'dead man' setting on the seat, where it turns the thing off if someone is not sitting in the seat.  I guess that being upside down is considered 'no in the seat', since it stopped running.  He was able to push it off him and get back up, with no damage.  It's not very heavy (at least as far as riding lawn mowers go), thank goodness.

I was fortunate to have not seen this occur.  He said he got up and looked around, a little embarrassed, got back on and kept mowing.  I only knew about it because I saw the rips and grass stains on his shirt.  Oh lovely, do you know how hard it is to get grass stains out??    

No comments:

Post a Comment