Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012

Outside Temp: 67 F (it was a little warm today... Into the 80's.  I don't like the heat.  It makes me cranky.)

What I cooked today:
Chicken: Hehehe, yes, chicken.  Like my chicken.  Like the chicken that was alive yesterday morning.  Hehehe.  It was suggested that I try just frying it with some salt and pepper and a little flour.  I realized that every chicken dish I make is loaded with spices or seasoning.  Even my normal fried chicken has smoked paprika and buttermilk.  So, I went with simple and just fried it up.  Totally nervous.  But the consensus is that it was great.  There was no after taste (so I guess the dandelions weren't a problem) and it got all eaten up.  We saved back 2 breasts and the legs and thighs to have with the Grandparents when they get back home.  And I must say, there were something kind of cool about knowing that the chicken was on our table because of the work we did to raise it and butcher it.  I'm not really ready to plan on raising 20 of these chickens a month, but I can see doing it again. 

Update:
First off, if any of you have seen the 'severe weather and tornado warning' going on in Montana, we are fine (as of now).  I can't guarantee that it stays that way, but it looks like the storm is north of us.  As of now, we've had some wind, but no thunderstorms or rain (yet).

Katie and Allen went to Stanford today for a basketball camp.  It's 3 hours a day, Monday - Thursday.  Which means that they both had to wake up at 8am this morning and get ready.  Which also means that I had to wake up at 8am and get ready.  Ugh. 

Katie didn't sleep well last night, so she was a little grumpy today.  Hopefully, she will sleep better tonight and be happier tomorrow.  Allen realized that he hasn't been practicing basketball, and he needs to practice.  He suggested that rather than play baseball in the yard, he needs to practice shooting hoops. 

I stopped over at the Stanford Public Library this morning (while I was waiting for the kids), and I had a wonderful chat with the librarian.  She was great!  And our library is really cozy!  They even had a section for books on Montana.  I had to pick up a few of those.  Their fiction section is great and I can't imagine why I would ever buy a fiction book again.  I could be happy in there for years!  I picked up a book for Allen and another book for Connor.  Katie is still working on Goblet of Fire, and we already have Order of Phoenix.  However, I might go borrow the last 2, rather than try to find them in the boxes in the garage. 

This evening, I went to an Altar Society meeting at the church.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the Cookbook when it comes out.  And we have an Ice Cream and Pie Social in September.  That will mark our 1 year anniversary here (we arrived on the day before the Ice Cream Social last year).   I'm excited, since this year, I'll actually know (almost) everyone!  (and yes, the ice cream will be a big attraction).

No comments:

Post a Comment