Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2, 2012

Outside Temp: 19 F (we got a little snow this morning, but it's supposed to be sunny for the next few days. Most of the snow was gone by this afternoon.)


What I cooked today:Pasta: I didn't really want to cook today, since I had a few other things on my mind. I had the kids make pasta, which is totally easy. I know, no protein, but I didn't really care.

Update:
Have you ever had that day where you really questioned your ability to raise good children? You know, that day where your kids do something that makes you think you must be the worst mother in the world to have created and raised a child who would behave in such a manner? Yea, I've had that day today.  (Patrick butted in and said I was making it sound like this child killed someone or something... it wasn't that bad.)

Without getting into details, one of my children did something, then didn't tell the truth when asked about it. Ugh, I hate lies more than anything in the world. Finally, around 7:30 tonight, we finally got down to the truth.

Once I had an idea of what occurred, I forced this child of mine to repeat the details of the event. He asked me, "Well, if you already know the truth, why do I have to say it?". Ahh, teaching moment.

We spent some time discussing the power of admitting what you did, out loud, to someone. Even if everyone knows what you did, it can make you live in denial if you don't have to admit it. Maybe you start to justify what you did. Maybe, as time goes on, you change the story; change your role in it. You might even make yourself into the victim, or at least absolve yourself of guilt. But without admitting it, and apologizing and asking for forgiveness from those you wronged, you can never move on.

So, my child started by apologizing to me, for lying. And for being stupid. And for embarrassing the family. Punishment, in the form of forced labor and removal of privileges, has already begun.

My child still needs to apologize to others, but since it was so late by the time we finished our discussion, we couldn't make those calls tonight. Hopefully, we will be able to resolve this soon, because this ugly feeling in my tummy just sucks.

5 comments:

  1. he's a good kid and you're a great parent-hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting caught is good. Helps avoid rooking mistakes in adulthood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be calling you when it is my turn to teach this lesson.. you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone... We'll survive. It just sucked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! In our home, we call this process the "yo betta check yo self befo yo wreck yo self" and then my kids know it's confession and discussion time, a time to own your part and check your heart!

    Poor woman! I feel for you! You are a great parent and I love your kids! Alas, they're human. I have a grown child who was taught this concept his whole life, but he forgot it temporarily and likes to blame US and his horrible childhood (church, youth group, private school, braces, motorcycles, surfboards, bmx bikes, homeschooling....LOL! HORRIBLE CHILDHOOD!LOL!), for his poor decisions and we just laugh at him. But I know that lesson is in there, because all I have to say is, 'yo betta!" and he slinks away. LOLOLOLOL!! I live for that day when I hear him saying my exact words to his own kids. LOL! Hammer it in Baby! You're doing a great job!

    I love the teaching spelled out so clearly like you did it and the process and consequences of being in denial! Love it. I'll be copying and pasting in my personal file.

    BTW Hubby turned Lib. this week after researching RP. that's code in case i already have a file for being a totally obnoxious citizen with the f++b^^^i

    ReplyDelete