Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February 8, 2012

Outside Temp: 36 F (we had a low of 5 degrees this morning, when I sent the kids to school... it was in the 30's by 11am)

What I cooked today:
Bean Soup: Patrick asked for soup, and I didn't know what to make, so I tossed 2 quart jars of chicken stock into a pot with some carrots, celery and onions.  Then I threw in some garbanzo beans, black eyed peas and split peas.  Next time, I have to make sure I measure the beans.  An hour or two later, all the fluid was gone and the beans has swelled up to fill almost the whole pot.  I added some water, and it turned out fine, but next time, less than 2 cups of beans.  Measure them!!

Pitas: Patrick's mom gave us some home grown sprouts, and Patrick wanted to make pita sandwiches tomorrow.  We got some really thin sliced ham at the store this week, so I decided to make up a few pitas.  Either I just stink at this, or there is something weird with my oven.  I cooked up two batches of 4 pitas each, and each time, one of the 4 pitas puffed up correctly.  Each time, the other 3 pitas stayed pretty flat.  They were all the same thickness, in the same oven.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I guess I'll just keep trying until I get it right.

Update:
Allen went to a Trade Rodeo (like a trade fair) in Great Falls today, where they had people from different professions telling the kids about their trade.  He got to play in a Carpentry race, where they had to hammer in nails, measure area and carry 2x4s.  There was also a R/C car, powered with bio-diesel fuel.  And an engine, where they were shown the different parts.  I don't know if he learned anything or now has a trade he might be interested in, but he did get to miss school for the day, and had fun.  I guess that's all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment