Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15, 2011

Outside Temp: 19 F (and still snowing!)

What I cooked today:
Spaghetti Sauce:  Connor and Allen had a game in Winnett, so I asked them what they wanted for dinner... They asked for Spaghetti Sauce, so that's what I made.  Unfortunately, they stopped at McDonald's for dinner, so when they arrived home, they weren't hungry.  Oh well, it stores well in the fridge, so I guess we're getting it for lunch tomorrow!  :)

Update:
After yesterday's excitement, we decided to look into snow tires today.  We found a place locally in Geyser that will get them and install them for less than the other place was charging for just the tire!  Love it!!  Unfortunately, they won't get them in until Friday.  So, until then, Patrick's parent's may be helping us get the boys from school after practice, so we won't have to be driving on the scary roads until our car is ready. 

The current 'storm' is expected to taper off tomorrow, and then come back on Thursday and Friday (Friday is scheduled for a low of 6... degrees).  After that, it should warm back up into the teens and 20's until about Wednesday, when it will finally get above freezing.  That means the kids will probably still have snow to play in this weekend. 

And since Montana State and University of Montana are playing their 'Big Game' on Saturday, there is NOTHING scheduled for this weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised if church was postponed until after the game.  Now, if only we had cable hooked up to our TV, we could watch it.  :)   The problem I'm running into is that I haven't been here long enough to have a preference between the Bobcats and the Grizzlies.  And I'd hate to tick anyone off by rooting for the 'wrong' team.  Out here, we take our college football VERY SERIOUSLY.

The boys game was in Winnett today, which is about 2-3 hours away, depending on weather conditions.  We decided that it would be silly to go, so I am feeling very guilty about missing the boys game for the first time.  But, they managed to win anyway!  Woo Hoo!  28-23 (I think).  Allen said that the referee was a local to Winnett, and kept calling fouls and traveling for our team, while letting the local team get away with it.  Ahh, welcome to the competitive world of local Elementary and Junior High Sports.  Since I wasn't there to see it, I'll just have to take the boys' word for it!

We let Ryan out to play in the snow for a little bit this afternoon.  Of course, I forgot to have him put on the good 'snow' gloves, and he just had little knit gloves on.  As you can imagine, after about 30 minutes of snow balls and playing, his hands were just frozen (okay, not really, but they were cold).  So, we brought him in and made him put his hands in warm water to get the feeling back into them.  Which turned into another game of splashing water all over the kitchen.  No worse for wear...



Our creek has not frozen over (yet), but there was some snow on the tree, which was quite pretty.  I was thinking that the water would be really cold, but (as Patrick so obviously pointed out), the outside temperature was about 20, so the creek was probably warmer than the outside! 


The backyard isn't all snow (yet), but there was definitely some snow on the ground.  The funny part was when I went to get the snow shovel, and it was in the shed, which had snow blocking the door.  I had to push aside all the snow, so I could open the shed, to get the snow shovel.  Irony? 

Patrick and I were doing fine outside (for at least 30 minutes) with just jeans and a sweater (and gloves... loving the gloves).  However, since the weather should get down into the single digits by the end of the week, perhaps a little more layers, like say, a jacket?


We don't have another game until Friday, so the boys are excited about having at least a few minutes to play before dinner and bed.  I'm thinking that Saturday, we'll be trying to make a trek into Great Falls to get 'real' winter items, such as snow pants, snow gloves and snow boots.  Katie's boots are not really designed for real weather, although they look cute.  Her socks were drenched, so I guess that 'waterproof' label didn't mean real water.  And I'm really looking forward to those flannel lined jeans!  Oh wait, the big game is on Saturday... I wonder if any stores will be open?  (You know those signs in movies that say 'Closed for the Big Game'... I'll see if I can find any.)



No comments:

Post a Comment