Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19, 2011

Outside Temp: 1 F (last night, the low was -6)

What I cooked today:
Pancakes: Since we had a guest last night, I thought I'd make pancakes for the kids.  :)

Spiced Apple Cider: I love this on a cold day.  I just toss some apple juice in a pot with a stick of cinnimon, a couple cloves and a little bit of whole allspice.  Not only is the house all yummy smelly, but the taste is great and I can sip it all day.  (I guess it's kind of like coffee, if I ever drank coffee).

Meatloaf: I wanted to do something different, just to see if I could.  I should have added more bread crumbs, or less milk.  It was a little thin, so I had to actually use a loaf pan, which meant that it wasn't crusty enough on the outside.  But everyone ate and it worked out fine. 

Update:
Okay, so one annoying thing about snow; when people walk around the house in their shoes, with snow on them, they leave snow, which melts, and when you walk over the same spot in your socks, they get wet.

And I know you were all wondering... the University of Montana Grizzlies beat Montana State Bobcats 36-10.  I only caught the last 10 minutes via the Internet (which isn't really fast enough for video streaming, so it was a little choppy), but since I really don't care yet who wins, it was a fun last 10 minutes to watch.  One of the players ran off the field into a spectator, who turned out to be a bus driver for one of the teams, who was down for about 5 minutes.  Those football players can hit hard!

The boys played up at the grandparents for a few hours, sledding around.  But my husband, who was supposed to take pictures, decided to join in the fun and forgot to take any.  I can only hope that we'll have another time with snow where we can take pictures... :)

I had to feel really bad, because our guest, Kenneth, has contacts, so he took them out last night and left them in the bathroom.  I wasn't thinking or I would have had him put them out by the fireplace.  Needless to say, they were frozen into the solution last night, which meant that my bathroom was below freezing, and he ripped them trying to get them out this morning.  Arghh, who knew?  Fortunately, he had his glasses, or else the entire day would have really stunk.  We have a small space heater (it was in the house when we got here), so we've set it up in the bathroom, which is by far the coldest room in the house.  I hope it takes the chill off, especially for those middle of the night bathroom trips...

The house is getting cold.  It's been in the 60's inside all day, and now is hovering right at about 58.  I'm thinking about breaking down and turning on the heater, although I'm hating the cost of the propane.  We are all pretty bundled up in clothes and blankets, and no one is complaining, but I'm thinking about turning it on anyway.  Maybe just for a couple hours?  To take off the chill?  I know I said I liked the cold, which I do.  Will you all think less of me for giving in to the cold and turning on the heat?  I can claim that I'm doing it for the kids, and if it were just me, I would gladly leave it until at least the 40's.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment