Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25, 2011

Outside Temp:  27 F



What I cooked today:
Beef Stew: I got a roast from Albertsons on Sunday (they had a deal where you got free carrots, celery and potatoes when you bought a 3lb roast.  Score!).  It was about 3.5 lbs, which is a lot of meat.  So, I cut it in half, sealed the side with the best marbling in my FoodSaver, and cubed up the rest for beef stew.  Since it was sort of cold today, I thought the boys would like a great hot stew after practice. 

Buttermilk Biscuits:  I used to always use Bisquick for my biscuits.  It's not bad, but I wanted to try something from scratch.  Of course, Alton Brown had a recipe for Southern Buttermilk Biscuits in his cookbook.  I was pretty sure I was doing it wrong, since I only got about 10 biscuits out of the recipe, and they only filled about half of my cookie sheet, but they turned out great.  A little too great.  Now I HAVE to double the recipe, since everyone wants biscuits with honey and butter.  Katie even told me they were better than KFC.  Oh jeez, I should hope so!


Update:
Okay, so one rule on mouse traps... they don't do much when they are not set.  Apparently, Ryan went through the house yesterday, or maybe Sunday, and, using a knife, set off every mouse trap he could find.  So, this morning, I had Patrick go through the house and re-set every trap.  He did find a single mouse, dead, behind the couch.  I guess Ryan couldn't reach that one. I expect to find a few more tomorrow morning, since it's getting cold and it's nice and toasty in my house.  Okay, not toasty, but I guess 60 degrees is better than freezing outside!

Also, today, we had a beautiful snow storm! 


I was inside, working at the community center to prepare for the halloween party on Friday and Saturday, when one of the ladies opened the door and commented on the snow.  So, of course, being new to this whole 'snow' thing, I had to run outside and take pictures!  It was sooooooo pretty!

One of the comments around here is 'if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it'll change'.  When I left about another hour later, I took a few more pictures of the snow on the ground.  The storm blew through in about an hour or so, and we were left with a pretty dusting of snow on the cars and on the ground... just enough to make a snowball and throw it at the kids! 

The pellet stove is keeping the house at a nice 68 degrees, so I'm sitting here typing in my short sleeve shirt and no socks.  Okay, that's a lie, I have socks on.  :)


3 comments:

  1. I love your tags, beef stew and snow! LOL! Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep coming up with great stuff! LOVE the snow!

    ReplyDelete