Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26, 2011

Outside Temp: 40 F

What I cooked today:

Burgers and Mashed Potatoes: Okay, all the cooking finally caught up with me, and I had absolutely no desire to cook today.  So, the old stand-by of burgers and mashed potatoes was the choice.  I'm realizing that Allen is getting older, since I made about 9 potatoes, and it was gone.  Like totally scraped clean.  I think he was licking the plate.  Ugh, at least potatoes are cheep. 

Update:
So, the kids mentioned something yesterday, but I thought they were kidding, so I didn't post it.  I talked with the lunch lady today and yes, indeed, they had sirloin steak for lunch yesterday.  Are you kidding me?  I have never heard of feeding kids steak for lunch from a school cafeteria!  But, apparently, their 4H group has a few cows and needed to slaughter them for the season... so the school gets fresh beef.  They also have pigs, so I'm sure the bacon and pork chops are fresh.  They are so spoiled!

The only complaint was that they had Heinz 57 instead of A-1 sauce, and some of the kids thought it was too spicy.  Not mine though; Allen tasted it and said it was just like the sauce his mom makes! 

The school also had a pep rally today in Stanford (about 15 miles away).  So, they all loaded up on buses, except Ryan and I who took my car, and drove over there.  Since our school is so small, we team up with the Stanford teams to make 1 whole team.  They girls volleyball team is about 11 students, and the boys football team is 8... yes 8 boys.  They play 6 man football, which I had never heard of before we got here. 

The pep rally was very similar to my memory from Napa.  The coach wanted everyone to yell the team mascot, 'go wolverines' every time some said 'team'.  They called all the members, by name and height, of both the girls volleyball and the boys football teams, who had to come stand in the middle of the gym, looking bored.  Then there was a game that took longer to explain than it did to actually play.  All that was missing was Eli and Aaron doing a skit of  'Wayne's World'. 

I also found it interesting, since both schools are K-12, the stands were half-filled with elementary grade kids, who were probably bored but liked to be able to yell out every time some used the word team.  Even Ryan got into the mix and by the end, was howling like a wolf and clapping.  I guess that's part of the whole 'school pride' thing.

The snow was burned off by noon, which bummed out the kids who wanted to play in the snow when they got home from school.  I told them they would have more than enough chance to play in the snow once the winter sets in.  The good news is that even though the outside temp last night hit about 19 F, my house was still in the mid 60's when I woke up.  I guess my pellet stove is doing it's job!

No comments:

Post a Comment