Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 10, 2012

Outside Temp: 48 F (It rained and was really windy all day.  There were a few times we thought the house might blow away, but since it was worse during the winter, I wasn't too concerned.)

What I cooked today:
Vegetable Beef Soup: I had to agree with Patrick that it was totally a soup day.  It was cold and windy and rainy, which are all words that make you think of soup.  I even mixed up a batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits to go with it.  It all turned out great!

Update:
Okay, I admit it.  I spent a few more hours playing the game today.  But it ends at midnight, so tomorrow we can get back to a normal life.

We were fortunate that the game crashed around 7:30, so I could get all the boys to eat dinner without hearing the complaints that they would miss out on some 'game time'.  Of course, during dinner, we had some great conversations. 

My favorite was the discussion about the kid (he was in his 20's, I think), who actually died because he was so engrossed in his online game that he forgot to eat or drink anything and died from dehydration and malnutrition.  I figure there was something else going wrong in his mind, but that's secondary.

So, our dinner conversation revolved around how you could keep yourself alive and healthy, during the 60 hours of Beta Weekend time for this game. 

The first suggestion was an obvious IV, to keep you hydrated.  But you wouldn't want to have to go to the bathroom, so a catheter was next (shudder...).  But, how would you prevent the other bathroom need.  An adult diaper might be useful, but perhaps you could just fast for the day before, and with only IV fluids, your intestines wouldn't have much going on. 

Katie said she wanted just V8 juice and green olives.  But the boys explained that her choice of olives would be digested by the intestines, and then you end up with that mess issue.  Ewwww. 

The next issue was one of sleep.  After our drive up here, and the side effects of NoDoze, I explained that after the first 24 hours or so, you would start to have bad reactions to lack of sleep.  Which is where Patrick piped up with some new drugs that the government is working on to keep you awake, without the nasty side effects (that you get from normal stimulants, like shaking, insanity and addiction).  And, if they only needed them for two nights, it might be okay.

I think my family is insane, but at the same time, I loved their ingenuity.  Of course, they all took breaks from the game today and I don't think it will be a problem once the game is out and live.  After all, as the mom, I still have the ability to send them to bed... I just find it funny to find my oldest passed out at the computer desk when I wake up at 8am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment