Friday, May 25, 2012

May 25, 2012

Outside Temp: 39 F (Fun weather day today... a little chilly, and threatening most of the day.  The ground is so green!!)

What I cooked today:
Pancakes and Bacon: I love NOT having to wake up early and being able to spend an hour making a great breakfast!  I think everyone in the family loves bacon, so that's always a good idea.  And I got buttermilk the other day at the store, and my pancakes are so much better with buttermilk.

Vegetable Beef Soup: With it being a little chilly, soup is a good idea.  This one is just ground beef, onions, frozen veggies, potatoes and tomatoes.  Today, I added Greek seasoning (which is stinking awesome) and a little Red Wine vinegar.  It was yummy!

Update:
Patrick ordered us new laptops this week, and they came in today.  You should have seen us at around noon today, waiting with baited breath, watching out the window for the UPS guy.  Of course, this time, instead of showing up at 11:45, he was here at about 1:00.  Which means that we sat there for about an hour and a half, watching out the window, jumping at every possible car on the road. 

Our new machines are pretty cool (albeit really heavy!).  They are both the same, so (as Patrick tells me) I can't complain that he has a better computer than me.  I don't think I've ever actually complained, but it's still pretty cool that we both have the same machine.

So, now comes the bad part.  We have to re-load all the software and programs on the new computers.  Ugh, I absolutely hate this part!  So, right now, we both have our old laptops sitting next to our new laptops, trying to copy documents and code and programs across.

As luck would have it, we didn't have some of our development software installer files available, so we had to download them from Microsoft's site.  And these files are not small.  The Visual Studio file is about 2.5GB (which is kind of big).  And our Internet is pretty slow.  We tried to download a few things and it was taking forever.  So, we decided to go somewhere where we could download a little faster.

Which means that anyone who drove past the school in Geyser, between 6-8pm, and saw our car parked out front (with the windows fogged up), yes, we were downloading our software using the school's Internet.  Why, what did you think we were doing?  (and yes, we asked permission from the superintendent).

We decided to head back home after our development software was downloaded, since we didn't want to spend all night out in front of the school.  We still have a few more things to download, but they might wait until Tuesday, when we can go into the school and connect to the hard line (and download even faster!)

So, now, at 11pm, I finally have my development software in place, and hopefully, only a few more installations and my new laptop will be up and running.  Again, it's pretty big and heavy, but it is faster and prettier and runs faster.  I guess I can get used to it. 

1 comment:

  1. oh too funny--now something new to play with on a snowy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete