Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11, 2012

Outside Temp: 35 F (it was warm again today, but not hot.  Although it was around 25 F this morning when we got up, it warmed up into the high 50's/low 60's by mid day...)

What I cooked today:
Brownies: which I proceeded to burn.  I have a stone 8x8 baking dish for brownies, which I usually use.  But, I haven't made brownies for a while, so I didn't remember, until I poured the batter into my glass 9x13 casserole dish.  Ugh, the mix barely made it to the edges.  But, silly me, still baked it at 350 (which really means about 400 in my oven) for the entire 28 minutes.  Needless to say, they were not good.  In fact, they were so bad, I would have been ashamed to bring them to the fundraiser tonight.  They sat on my counter, and even the kids wouldn't eat them.

Chocolate Cookies: So, having less than an hour until the fundraiser, and having nothing to bring, I found a recipe for chocolate cookies that didn't need to be refrigerated for 2 hours (like my regular chocolate chip cookies).  It's a brownie mix that you only use 1 Tbsp of water and 1/4 cup oil.  I was pretty sure I was doing it wrong, when I couldn't even wet all the baking mix!  But, after about 4-5 minutes of constant stirring, I figured that they were wet enough to bake.  They only took about 12 minutes to bake and they weren't bad.  Apparently, they were okay, since there were none left when the fundraiser was over!

Update:
We had a fundraiser tonight for a wonderful lady in our community, who has recently been diagnosed with Cancer.  Oh my goodness, we have an amazing community!  There was both a silent auction and a live auction for some awesome items that were donated.   There was some local artwork, some handmade jewelry, a beautiful handmade wooden bench and even a weekend vacation at someones marina condo! 

Our school Shop class has been making bird houses.  And the students decided to donate their birdhouses to the auction, over 10 of them!  Two of them were selected for the live auction, and they brought in over $100 each!  Grandma won the birdhouse that Allen made (I meant to get a picture, but since it's at Grandma's house now, I can get it tomorrow!).

It was an amazing night, and just goes to show how a small community comes together when someone is in need.  I will continue to pray for her, and her family. 

Also today, our school had a district track meet for the high school.  Allen got to go, to help out, since our school was the host.  He had a great time and the superintendent made a point of telling me how well he worked.  I love it when someone compliments me on my kids! 

No comments:

Post a Comment