Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 13, 2012

Outside Temp: 38 F (it was into the 40's today, which really helps the ice and slush on the roads)

What I cooked today:
Chicken and Fried Rice:  We went with chicken again tonight, mostly because I haven't gotten to the store to get any ground beef.  Hopefully, tomorrow.  But, the chicken worked and made everyone happy, so no complaints!

Update:
Woo hoo!

Allen's team won their game tonight, which means they are in 1st place going into the tournaments this weekend!  I'm so proud of the team!

We drove into Great Falls this morning, to get the boys their allergy shots.  The temp was right around 33, and the roads were very, very icy.  However, at one point I had to complain about the person driving the car in front of me.  The highway out to Great Falls is a 2 lane highway, with areas where it might be safe to pass, but only a few actual 'passing' lanes.  So, if you get behind someone going slow, you may be out of luck for a while, until there is a safe place to pass and no oncoming traffic. 

With the ice, I was very hesitant to pass, even when it was clear.   However, I think this young girl just kept getting more and more nervous.  We started out going about 50 MPH, which seemed okay.  After a couple miles, she dropped it down to 40 MPH.  There was no (or very little) wind, and it was clear.  So, the only problem was the icy roads.  And I could understand 40. 

But, when she dropped down to about 25 MPH, on the highway, I started getting annoyed.  At one point, she slowed down so fast, I was afraid I would slam into her.  I finally decided to pass, which made me very nervous, but it was fine.  As we passed, I glanced over at her, and she seemed just as calm as could be, not even aware of the 10 cars or so piled up behind her, going 25 MPH on the highway.  I was so grateful to speed back up to my 43 MPH! 

This also gave me the opportunity to talk to the boys about driving on ice and snow.  I can't believe they might be driving soon, so I want to use every excuse I can to remind them about black ice, and going slow, but not so slow that you make it dangerous for drivers behind you, using turnouts when you are uncomfortable but cars are piling up behind you, and avoiding driving at all if you have the option.  I don't know if they actually heard any of it, so I'll have to try again next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment