Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012

Outside Temp: 71 F (It seems a little strange to have it so warm at night, but I'm sure it will cool off by the morning!)

What I cooked today:
Burgers and Potato Salad: I thought I'd attempt to re-create the potato salad I made this weekend.  Patrick and I went through my large bowl of potato salad by Sunday afternoon, so (to use up the rest of the hard boiled eggs) I made some more.  We had it with dinner, and still have plenty left for lunch tomorrow! 

Update:
My husband and father in law are so stinking awesome!

If you have been following the blog for a while, you know that we have problems with our electrical and our plumbing.  About a month after we got here, we noticed that one of the bathrooms backed up, bad enough to make it unusable.  Which means for the last 8-9 months, we have had our family of 6 with one bathroom.  Okay, tolerable.

Also, as soon as we moved in, the electrical in about 1/4 of the house went out, and we couldn't figure out how to fix it.  That area included my master bathroom and my dining area.  So, we've had electrical cords running from my bedroom into the bathroom with a lamp on top of the cabinet for the last year.  Since the lamp is up high, we usually would leave it on at night, in case the kids needed to use the restroom (since the switch didn't work).  We also have a lamp on my kitchen table, to use at night for dinner (since there was no light above the table).

So, today, my fabulous men decided to work on our house.  They went under the house, checked the plumbing line, removed the toilet to snake around, added shims to raise the pipe so it was level and voila, the bathroom now seems to be working! 

Then, just for kicks and grins, they looked into the electrical.  They found a wire that was cut in one of the outbuildings, and it was shorting out that breaker.  They did something and (again) voila, we now have lights! 

They have plans to fix some insulation issues with the skirt of the house, so that it might be a little less freezing during the winter.  But, right now I'm just so stinking happy to have my light switches work and my bathroom toilet flush!

Of course, the kids are so used to using our bathroom, they really don't want to use the normal one.  Katie's complaint is that there were bugs in the shower.  Well, since it hasn't been used in a year, I would expect bugs.  But, I've promised that we'll clean the shower before she has to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment