Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 25, 2012

Outside Temp: 35 F (foggy in the morning, clear as a bell in the afternoon!)

What I cooked today:
Sweet and Sour Chicken: Exhausted from our ski day (not sure exactly why, since I didn't ski), I decided to make something easy.  I know, it doesn't sound easy, but it totally is!  I put the rice in the microwave for 22 minutes (I need to add an extra 2 minutes, I think because of the altitude).  Cut up the chicken, toss in a Ziploc with green onions, ginger, oil and cornstarch.  Then put in the frying pan for about 10 minutes.  While that's cooking, cut up some onions, celery, carrots and peppers (pineapple is already cut up, since it's in a can).  Saute the veggies while the chicken browns.  Mix up the sauce with some red wine vinegar, ketchup (I was stunned, but really, ketchup), sugar and honey.  Throw the veggies in the pan with the chicken (once it's done) and cover with the sauce.  Simmer for an extra 4-5 minutes.  Dinner was on the table in less than 30 minutes!  Woo Hoo!

Update:
Skiing today!  There is only about 2 weeks left in the ski season, so we just HAD to go up today.  Unfortunately, it was about 70 F up at the top of the mountain. 

While I wasn't skiing, the others told me that the conditions were bad.  Really, really bad.  It was slushy and ucky most of the day.

That being said, Ryan did go up with Grandpa and Patrick for 2-3 runs.  Once they were done, Grandpa took him on the beginners area and he practiced his turns.  No really, he actually went around the cones, correctly!  I was stunned.  I'd been trying to get him to do that all season!  Woo Hoo!



Katie, Allen and Connor went up on the slopes together, and they did great.  Allen stayed with them on the intermediate slopes, and he said they all skied really well. 

After skiing, Patrick and I had to run into Belt, and we started counting hawks.  Yes, hawks, like the birds.  By the time we got home, we were over 20.  I'm not sure if it's the warmer weather, or the fog lifting, but apparently, the hawks are out in full force today!  Of course, I forgot my camera, (ugh!) or I would have gotten some great pictures... Maybe tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment