Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, 2012

Outside Temp: 38 F (overcast, cloudy, rainy, cloudy, rainy, overcast, then clear and beautiful. Love the changes in the weather!)

What I cooked today:
Chili: We got home late, so I whipped up a batch of chili really quick.  It would have been better if I had left it to simmer longer, but I needed to get the kids into bed.  They didn't complain.

Update:
Busy day!  I substituted this morning for the Special Education teacher.  It was great to work one-on-one with the students.  I got to help with students from both Elementary and High School, which was an experience.  Of course, I got caught up chatting with one student, and was asked to quiet down.  Oops. 

After school, the music department had a 'preview' of their district performance on Friday. I got to hear Allen play the Bass Clarinet, which was totally awesome.  I think he's really come along great in the last few months.  And he seems to really enjoy it.

Both Patrick and I were amazed at how great the band sounded.  Not that my band back at Napa High wasn't great (although I never really paid attention, so I wouldn't really know), but I loved the song choices and they sounded really good together.  And we counted about 18 students, which would be the entire school 7th-12th (I think one student was out sick).  I love this school.

I have to admit, a favorite part for me was the singing.  I was in the choir in high school, so I'm partial to the singers.  The choir was only the high school, so about 6 guys and 8 girls.  They sang together first, and then the girls did a few songs with just female voices.  Then, after that, almost everyone got up to do a solo. 

With my high school of about 1000 students, with about 200 in choir, I never got a solo.  I wasn't good enough (to be perfectly honest with myself).  But at this school, if you want a solo, you get one.  Amazing.  The girls were a little nervous, which is totally understandable, but they were great.  A few had really great voices and I would love to hear them with a microphone (they were singing in a multi-purpose room, with a piano accompany, but no microphone).  Some of them would start quiet, but as they got over their nerves, their voices got louder, which was great.  It was such a treat to hear them tonight! 

Of course, while they were singing, I had flashbacks to high school.  One girl sang a song that was similar to one we sang in high school.  I can still remember the lyrics.  And I can still see Mr. Rogers (our choir teacher) explaining how to sing with your jaw dropped and your throat opened. 

The water is wide
I cannot get o'er
And neither have I
Wings to fly
Give me a boat
That can carry two
And both shall row
My love and I

Amazing how that sticks with you, 20 years later!  Oh please tell me that I'm not the only one who remembers that song! 

No comments:

Post a Comment