Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3, 2012

Outside Temp: 46 F (it was over 50 most of the day... but very windy.  Like tornado's gonna take the house windy.  )

What I cooked today:
Nothing.  We ended up in town for supper, and then went to get the kids and Grandma had made an awesome pot of chicken and rice soup.  So warm and cozy.

Update:
We ended up finally going into town to get Ryan's boots switched out.  The guys at the pro-shop were so nice.  They remembered us, and had no problem swapping his boots.  Since they are a season rental, they just had to switch the number in the book and re-adjust his skis.  No money, no stress, easy. 

We then found Cascade Wholesale Meats in town.  We had talked to a local restaurant, which has really good steaks, about where they got their meat.  They sent us to Cascade.  The place was wonderful!  They had a price list, that was comparable to sale prices at any supermarket.  And we could pick and choose what we wanted. 

The guy looked like he was fresh out of a movie.  A little on the larger side, a little older, and wearing the blood smeared apron.  He was sitting behind a large desk, smoking a cigarette.  Really friendly, and really helpful, letting us know how to get the best deals, based on what we wanted.  He let us know where the product came from and how long they'd been in business.  Of course, Patrick and I could have stayed chatting with him for hours, but they were closing and we had to get down to business.

Patrick's parents wanted us to get some steaks, so we found that we could get a better price by getting the entire Sirloin Butt and have them cut it for us, than to get individual steaks.  So, they took the 15 pound sirloin butt, trimmed off the excess fat (which they ground up with some trimmings into ground beef), and cut it up into individual 8oz steaks.  They also took the chuck and ground it up and packaged it into 1 and 1 1/2 pound packages for the parents and us.  I also picked up a couple ham hocks for soup (I'm excited about this one).  I think I have enough meat to last at least a few weeks, and it was so reasonably priced!

The guy let us hang out in the cutting room while they worked.  The room was so clean!  I wasn't sure what I was expecting, perhaps something out of the The Jungle with lots of blood and guts on the floor, but it was pristine!  It even smelled good.  Not bleachy or overly sanitized, and not rancid or bad.  Just like good meat.  The guys were so efficient, which I would expect, but there is something nice about watching an artist just make it look easy.  We walked out of there with about 40 pounds of meat, and a big smile on our face.  We will eat good tomorrow night!  I almost took pictures, but I wasn't sure if they'd let me. 

I shared a little less than 1/2 of it with the parents, so this is what I came home with (minus the ham hocks, which I forgot to take a picture of).


We took the price list home with us, so we can plan better next time. They said it works best if we call ahead of time, and they can have it ready for us.  Patrick wants to try the salami, and I wanted to try the ribs.  It also seems that the prices change weekly, so I'll see if the prices stay so reasonable. 

There is another place in town 'Discount Meats' that we might try next month.  But this place will be pretty hard to beat!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment