Friday, August 31, 2012

August 31, 2012

Outside Temp: 73 F (it wasn't too hot today, although I was in an air conditioned car for a large part of it, so I'm not a good judge.)

What I cooked today:
Fish:  see below.

Update:

Patrick, Connor and Grandpa went fishing today in Geyser.

Patrick got his fishing license about 5 months ago, and he had yet to use it.  So, he decided today to finally go fishing.  He and Grandpa went into Geyser, to make sure the fishing hole was a good one.  They had already caught a few fish when school got out and Connor could join them. 

Connor immediately caught a fish, and just kept going!  By the end, they had a total of 9 fish (the limit is 5 per person).

Of course, I was requested to do the filleting, which was kind of not fair. Especially since I can't remember if I have ever filleted a fish before.  And it didn't help that some of the fish were still alive.  I've requested that next time, they just cut off the heads before I get them, so I don't have to see their mouths opening and closing while I cut into them.  So, not cool.

After I had filleted these fish, I was informed that we then needed to skin them, as the skin made it taste bad.  Oh come on!  So, Grandma was kind enough to help (she was actually much better than I was) and we had all the fish filleted and skinned. 

Then we dredged in milk, eggs and flour and fried them up.  With 9 fish, we had 18 fillets, which seemed like a lot.  Amazingly, both Allen and Connor had multiple helpings and all 18 pieces were eaten up!  Wow, I was really not expecting that one. 

Katie was thrilled, since the entire meal for all 8 of us only cost the price of the rice, cauliflower and milk.  (the eggs were ours).  Woo hoo!

I guess I'll let them bring home fish again, but boy was the preparing them a lot of work.  I think I'll make Patrick do it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment