Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11, 2012

Outside Temp: 39 F (beautiful day, but very windy.  )

What I cooked today:
Bread: I baked some more artisan bread, to see if it would still have that 'alcohol' smell... it did.  Apparently, our science experiment of artisan bread has required the chemical explanation of what happens to yeast when it becomes carbon dioxide and ethyl alcohol.  The kids love the taste, but it's just a little too much for me.  I think I'm going to try just basic white bread tomorrow.

Update:
Ryan came home from school with some new knowledge.

Me:  How was school today?
Ryan: It was great.
Me: What did you do?
Ryan: I learned something.
Me: What did you learn?
Ryan: I learned about money.

This prompted me to dig a penny, nickle, dime and quarter out of my purse (which is not exactly an easy thing to do).  He could name each one, although he didn't really understand the quantity concept.  But it's a start.

We also started in on sight words.  Of course, when I pulled the index cards out and started asking him, he immediately ran the other direction.  But I was prepared.  I pulled out a bag of M&M's.  I explained to him that he would get 1 M&M for each correct word. 

He got 'the', 'and' and 'can' correct on the first try.  I placed the other cards (there were about 8 more) on the table and said that he would get an M&M for each one he could name and point to correctly.  He selected 'up' and took his M&M.  I asked if he wanted to try any other, and he said, "Nope, I'm good.  Maybe tomorrow."  Okay.  Maybe tomorrow!  But it's a start!

With our hard won pie from yesterday's pie auction, we decided to share in our good fortune with the Grandparents.  So, we invited them to pick up a pizza in town, and we headed up to their place for dinner and dessert.

The pie was a cheesecake, with huckleberry topping.  Oh my goodness, it was so rich and delicious, in a sinful kind of way.  Worth every penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment