Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 13, 2013

Outside Temp: 16 F (High of 21, low of 8... not too bad.. no negatives.)

What I cooked today:
Split Pea Soup: We had a ham bone from dinner last night, and I just couldn't let it go to waste.  I threw all the stuff into the crock pot before we left to go skiing, so it was ready when we got home.  Next time, I have GOT to remember to wrap the bone in cheesecloth, because those little bits of fat are kind of ucky in the soup. 

Update:
Ski Day!

Even with the snow, we decided to head up to the ski slopes.  We got a late start, and forgot Connor's boots under the heated blanket.  But, we were able to rent boots and they still got about 2-3 hours on the slopes. 

We brought Ryan this time, but left Katie at home with Grandma (she's still getting over her bug).  Allen and Connor did great on the slopes and Connor has really advanced in his skiing.  He and Allen took off and skied by themselves for a little bit, as Patrick (and then Grandpa) tried to ski with Ryan.  He has forgotten a lot of what he learned last year, but he still got up on the skis and did fine.  He needs to learn to follow directions a little better, but perhaps that will happen next time.

Ryan and Patrick on the ski slopes!


I got to stay in the lodge and eat chili and drink hot chocolate, so I had no complaints!  It was a little chilly outside, with the snow and the wind, and I really need to get better snow clothes.  I was pretty sure that I would have strengthened my knee a little better by this season, but here we are in January, and my knee is still pretty weak.  I may just decide to try it out, but I'm really not looking forward to popping the kneecap, while I'm up on the mountain.  Oh well, you never know until you try, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment